Last year I challenged myself to read 52 personal development and business related books. I'm often asked what’s my favorite book, or what book would I recommend someone to read. I always get stuck because the majority of the books I read for the challenge were really good and it’s hard to narrow the list down to my absolute favorite. However the books listed below are five of my must read books that will change your perspective on life and help you grow.
I created a full list of all the books I read last year so feel to download your free copy for book suggestions.
Before I share the five books I think everyone woman should read...The Free Your Mind Journal is a MUST have for every woman who's on a quest to figuring out what she wants for her life and how to start making it happen.
Top Five Books (ooh it was so hard to choose)
You are a Badass by Jen Sincero
This is a great book if you're ready to shift the direction your life is currently going in. The author gives it to you straight with no fluff and it’s the perfect how to guide on creating the life you want to live.
- “Most people are living in an illusion based on someone else’s beliefs.
- “If you’re serious about changing your life, you’ll find a way. If you’re not, you’ll find an excuse.”
- “Create the life you desire as if your life depends on it.”
The Personal Touch by Terrie Williams
Even though this book was written in 1994 the tips and advice shared is very useful and relevant to today. Terrie talks about the importance of establishing and building relationships personally and in the business world.
- “If you truly want to succeed, everything you do must be way above “average.” Mediocrity won’t cut it.”
- “You should always keep an open mind as to what you hear about people- because it's not your own personal experience with them.”
- “Never compare yourself to others. Compare yourself with who you were and where you were last week, last month, last year. (That’s the real measure of success)”
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
This book is a must read if you're in search of your inner self and struggle with procrastination. This little book is full of inspiration and wisdom nuggets that will help you fight fear and resistance.
- “The more you love your calling, the more its accomplishment is to the evolution of your soul, the more you will fear it and the more resistance you will experience facing it.”
- “The most important thing about art is to work. Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying.”
- “Our job in this life is not to shape ourselves into some ideal we imagine we ought to be, but to find out who we already are and become it.”
Write it down, Make it Happen by Henriette Anne Klauser
The author explains how when we write down our goals and get them out of our head we begin to manifest what we want and it brings us closer to achieving our goals. I was inspired by the stories shared throughout the book about how when people began to get clear about what they wanted, wrote their dreams down and eventually what they had written became their reality.
- “Think big! Don’t be afraid to touch the divine in your own life.”
- “When you write something down, you begin to define what you know and therefore what you want. You can't have what you want until you know what it is. Writing clarifies what is is that you are asking for.
- “Life is a decision. At any point in your life, you can decide to act one way in spite feelings urging you to go in the other direction. When you believe in a dream, you need to risk. You could wind up waiting forever if you wait until everything looks easy. “
#GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso
This was a very liberating, empowering and girl power type of read. I absolutely loved it! Sophia started her vintage retail store, Nasty Gal on eBay in 2006 and grew her business to over $100 million and 350 employees in 8 years. Amazing, right? Sophia shares her personal journey on her rise to success and she provides life lessons that anyone can apply.
- “It is she who listens to the rest of the world who fails, and it is she who has enough confidence to define success and failure for herself who succeeds."
- “Figure out what you love doing, don’t suck at it, then try to figure out how to make a living doing that!”
- “Abandon anything about your life and habits that may be holding you back. Learn to create your own opportunities.
What books are you reading this year?