I have to confess…. I am not the most organized person when it comes to having a consistent schedule and system in place for running my business. I’ve been planning as I go, and I must say this can be a little stressful at times. With the help from some of my online friends, listening to podcasts and reading Eat That Frog, I created a step-by-step guide to organizing my goals that feels good to me.
Please know I have not mastered this process yet, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't. I've also been adding, tweaking and moving stuff around until I perfect it. However, I did want to share this with you so you can get an idea of how I organized my goals and created a daily schedule. Use this info as you see fit so you can be prepared and ready for 2015. (hint: there are 63 days left in 2014)
Steps on how I organized my goals and created a schedule:
- I started by creating a master list of all the things that I wanted to get done for my business using Evernote. Every time I thought of something that I wanted to get done for BeFree Project (BFP) I would add it to the list.
- Next I took my list and I separated my goals into categories. For example (website & social media, coaching + clients, BFP (business stuff), BeFree Life Class (BFLC), products, etc). I then took my master list and put each item on the list under the appropriate category.
- After much writing, erasing and tweaking I copied my list onto a poster board and taped it on my bedroom wall right by my bed. This way I'm able to see my goals every single day.
- I took another piece of poster board and wrote down daily affirmations and quotes. I also made a list of specific things that I needed to do every single day like pray, meditate, etc.
- Then I added my daily schedule + what I wanted to work on each day in my calendar. (I use Apple iCal, but you can use Google Calendar or a regular old planner, whatever works for you)
- Lastly, every night I take goals from my master list and create a to do list for the next day and write it in my planner. If I don’t get everything on the list done that day, then I move it to the next day. Easy peasy, right?
I must admit #5 was the most challenging for me to get done because I've worked in Corporate America for so long and my schedule was always given to me and required to keep my job. As a solopreneur I’m now in control of my schedule amongst everything else and I have to create a system where I can be most productive and get stuff done.
Lastly let me add, I did not do all of this in one day, that would be crazy, right? I did this over a series of days so I wouldn't get overwhelmed or stressed and give up before I really got started.
Here is copy of my weekly calendar
My goal is to hit 2015 running! I have products that I’m planning to launch; BeFree Life Classes to host; coffee & chat meet-ups; increase clients; network in my community and so much more to get done. I cannot afford to wait until New Years Day to start thinking about my goals and what I want to accomplish, I have to start today.
I want you to be ready too, so figure out a system that works for you and get started. No excuses!
How are you getting prepared for the new year?