We all deserve to live an amazing life, one that we can be proud of. Of course, we each will have our own perspective or outlook, as it relates to quality because we share different views. However, I am almost 100% sure that you're here reading this because you want to create a life that feels good to you. Today I am sharing 20 simple yet practical things you can start doing to improve your quality life.
This past weekend I hosted my monthly BeFree MeetUp and per usual we had a great time networking and the room was filled with so much positive energy.
We also had an amazing conversation that gave us more clarity on how we each wanted to show up in the world.
One question that I asked every person in the room to answer that was chosen from the Free Your Mind Journal, “What do you owe yourself?
Each woman shared what she felt she deserved and let me tell you it was so beautiful to hear every person boldly say what she believed she owed herself.
One response in particular that has stayed on my mind came from Mrs. Denise, she shared how she's now retired and she owes herself a quality of life. She went on to say how she loves to travel, spend time with her husband and volunteer at the local hospital. Again she said she owed herself a quality of life.
I absolutely loved her response and my feedback at the meetup was that I want women to start appreciating the quality of life right now.
I don’t want you to wait until you’re retired to feel like now that you've worked so many years, the kids are grown and out the house that's when you'll give yourself permission to really be free and live. I want you to start living right now. Yes now!
Several years ago I was reading O magazine and this was when I was still working in Corporate America. A reader had written into the magazine saying how she had been working 50+ years and now that she had retired she could finally live her life.
I remember thinking how I didn’t want to wait that long before I started enjoying my life. I wanted to experience living life sooner than later even though at the time I had no idea what that looked like for me.
When I got laid off from my job and I was trying to figure out what to do next, I knew for sure I didn't want to get sucked into another job that I would end up hating. That's when I decided I had to take a chance on myself and I needed to do something that made feel alive.
What does a quality of life look like:
You define what a quality life looks like for you. It’s subjective and personal. However, one thing that I can say is that you owe it to yourself to be free and live life to it's fullest.
It can range from your environment, your career, wealth, your lifestyle, what you choose to do for fun, travel, even your habits, and behaviors. We all will have a different view on what a quality life means and that’s completely fine.
Now I am not saying that everything will be peaches and cream but overall I want you to be excited about the life you're living and I don't want you to feel like you're in a rat race going nowhere. Trust me been there, done that!
I think it's important to note that having a quality of life isn’t about how much money you have, it’s more so living a fulfilled life that brings you peace and happiness. It’s about having rich experiences that make you feel like you’re living the life you want on your terms.
Everyone will have a different outlook on what they consider a quality of life that goes beyond your basic needs. At the end of the day the question you need to ask yourself, Am I living a life that feels good inside and out?
If your answer is yes, then you're headed in the right direction. If your answer is no, then I recommend you start making small changes to start improving your life. Don’t worry I got a list of things you can do to get started, keep reading.
20 ways to instantly improve your quality of life
1. Read a book. Find a great book that you can get lost in and that will make you lose track of time. Carve out 15-30 minutes a day to read something whether an article, blog post, magazine and of course a book. I have some great recommendations that you can check out here.
2. Practice gratitude. I’ve said time and time again that when you focus on being thankful for the little things you’ll have a deeper appreciation for life in general. Simply write down in your journal five things you’re grateful for each day and watch your perspective on life start to change.
3. Meditate. There’s just something about getting quiet, being mindful and present in the moment. Don’t overthink it, start with 5-10 minutes a day. Headspace and Insight Timer are great apps that you can check out.
4. Smile, just because. Ok, I know this may seem quirky but trust me on this. When you smile you send happiness to others and it helps you cope with life stresses.
5. Love yourself. Practicing self-love means you set boundaries, learn how to say no, have faith instead of fear, play big in your life, forgive yourself and others, take care of yourself inside and out, put you first without guilt, positive self-talk, accept yourself flaws and all.
6. Move your body. We all know how important exercise is, so do something that will make you feel and look good. Try yoga, line dancing, running, kickboxing or join a gym.
7. Eat healthier. Eat to live not live to eat. Make small changes in your diet and create a healthier lifestyle. Drink a smoothie, eat more greens or cut back on meat. Again like everything mentioned simply take small steps to improve your life.
8. Be inspired. Find images, people, quotes, videos, a podcast that will inspire and motivate you. Consume more positive things throughout the day.
9. Attend a workshop. Learn something new and start networking with people who are on the same wavelength as you.
10. Positive self-talk. What you say to yourself matters and what you believe about yourself matters. It's time that you start speaking life over yourself. Need help, I got you, check out the Girl Be Free affirmation cards.
11. Take a solo road trip. Think of somewhere you can travel to in 3 or 4 hours and enjoy the scenery and time by yourself.
12. Laugh out loud. Go to a comedy show, watch your favorite comedian on Netflix or watch a really funny movie. Laughter is good for the soul.
13. Celebrate yo self! Big or small do something daily to celebrate yourself. That could be enjoying a glass of your favorite wine, getting a facial or cooking your favorite meal.
14. Volunteer. When you give back to people that are less fortunate than yourself you start to appreciate your quality of life. Volunteer at the children’s hospital, serve food at a homeless shelter, donate clothes to Salvation Army or Goodwill.
15. Embrace nature. Go for a walk. Take your lunch break outside. Read a book in the park.
16. Hang out with your besties. Text your girls and invite them over for girls night.
17. Random Act of Kindness. Do something kind for someone else. Put change in a meter. Hold the door for someone. Pay for someone’s coffee. It’s the little things that can brighten someone’s day. Need more ideas?
18. Drink more water. Do your best to drink 8-9 cups per day.
19. Play and have fun. Do things in life that bring you pure joy and embrace your inner child.
20. Surround yourself with positive energy. Hang out with people that add value to your life and make you want to be better.
You owe it to yourself to start doing the work in order to have the life you want. Things don't just change, you have to make adjustments in the areas of your life that you're not happy with.
Don't overthink it, simply make an effort each day to make your life better. That's all!
Which tip will you apply to begin to improve your quality of life?